Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Speed Skating

I visited the Richmond Olympic Oval yesterday during open speedskating hours. They were nice enough to allow me access to the infield, where I practiced using my wireless flash trigger.

This was my first time really using it in practice, and I took a trial and error method. Being used to TTL flash metering, I was pretty clueless as to how to adjust the power and range of the flash (TODO: learn). One challenge was ensuring that the subject was in the flash's path when the shutter was released. I found the best way to do this was to take a photo of the ice, look at the area lit by the flash, and line that up with something on the far wall.

It was actually tougher than I had anticipated, especially since I was tracking a fast moving target while looking through a telephoto lens. I did manage to get one decent shot of Jen. I had to use ISO 400 in order to use an acceptable shutter speed for my lens (f/5). Remembering a tip from the National Geographic Photography Field Guide, I cropped the photo to leave space into which the subject can look.



I plan to become more proficient with the wireless flash by practicing at the Burnaby Velodrome... after I learn how to do manual flash metering.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great shot Mike--I like this one.
D.