Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sophie

I don't want to be one of those people who take hundreds of photographs of their pets, but our cat Sophie was napping on a pile of laundry today and the afternoon light was falling nicely on her side. Similarly to an older post of Chester, I used a long focal length (145mm) to get nice and close. I'm not too happy with the composition, with her body taking up most of the background. I had a hard time deciding whether to crop this out to have a final photo consisting of mostly face (the original composition includes all of her head and a bit of her ears). In the end I cropped it this way so that she has some space to look into.



A big challenge for me with this shot was getting her to be still enough. With such a slow lens (f/5), I couldn't really expose for any less than 1/13s. It took lots of repetition before she happened to be still enough during one of them.

No comments: