Monday, November 17, 2008

Blended Tower

Today I wanted to try out the digital blending technique I read about last week. I didn't really want to drive around looking for the perfect scene, so I just took a few shots from my balcony of the tower down the street, using the BBQ as a tripod.

Here's the first shot, exposed for the tower (f10 @ 1/60 sec).And here's the second shot, exposed for the sky (f10 @ 1/800 sec). I *think* this means they're roughly 3.7 stops apart. (60*2^3.7 is roughly 800).
And here's what it looks like when you put the two together.
Rather than selecting the tower and deleting it as suggested by Jesse Speer, I created a new layer by cutting the tower from the dark image (on top), and reducing its opacity. Simply deleting the tower from the dark image resulted in an ugly blend between the two.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the result, even though it looks unnatural. As it is, I adjusted both the sky and the tower to fall in the midtones. Perhaps the sky should be at the highlight end.

No comments: